Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Persepolis

I can certainly appreciate this format, a graphic novel, for taking a weighty subject and delivering it in an almost entertaining way, with all due respect. The issues, characters and events were just as provocative as if Satrapi had written a traditional, text-driven memoire. I previously had no education on the history of Iran or its people. This was a good start.

Marxism, Dialectic Materialism. Frames like pg. 12 bottom left and pg. 23 bottom right

I must blushingly admit I know so little of the Islamic Revolution and past invasions of Iran. Unbeknownst to me, Iran had/still has a deep struggle with class, and its citizens once sought communism and Marxism as a remedy. This certainly has helped shape some thoughts about the Iranian people historically and culturally. I would never guess the radicalism of Marx could permeate into a country that has seemingly always been so tightly ruled. Same goes for Michael Jackson and Iron Maiden.

The Wine. pgs. 106-110

This section portrays what I imagine social life would be like under such a repressive regime- a clandestine party interrupted by sirens and a family being stopped and almost arrested on the way home. A parallel might be drawn to our own prohibition era in the States, much like Marjane’s uncle having his own basement winery and having to flush his booze down the toilet in order not to be arrested.

Likewise, Marjane's parents must smuggle posters home, and even little Marjane herself must buy her favorite music from strangers in dark alleys . Pop culture and music can serve as a helping hand in sparking an outcry. When I think of revolution and changing/helping the world, I think of Public Enemy and the "We Are the World" for Haiti just as often as I do Malcolm X, Jesus Christ or the framers of the U.S. Constitution.

No comments:

Post a Comment